Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!

We celebrated Dr. Seuss's birthday at storytime today.  We read Dr. Seuss's ABC and There's a Wocket in My Pocket.






















I've found that most Dr. Seuss books are way too long for storytime and these two books are some of his shorter ones and they work really well for a younger crowd.  Some others that are great for storytime are Hop on Pop, Mr. Brown Can Moo!  Can You?, The Foot Book, Green Eggs and Ham, Fox in Socks, Great Day for Up, My Many Colored Days, and Marvin K. Mooney Will you Please Go Now!.  I'm sure there are more, but these are ones I've read personally and have had success with.

This year, I based our craft around There's a Wocket in my Pocket!.  I found Wocket templates here. Then I cut out generic pocket shapes and glued everything to a piece of construction paper.

Before storytime began, I set up four black lights on the tables and set out a bunch of different colored highlighters.  In case you weren't aware, highlighters glow beautifully under a black light.  It's really cool and I think investing in a few black lights is definitely worth the money.  There are a ton of cool glowing black light crafts out there.

When we were done reading I had the kids take a seat at the table and then I turned the black lights on and the overhead light off.  They're always really impressed with the effect the black lights have on everything around them, especially the highlighters.





They look sort of boring without the black light on them but it is still a really fun activity.
Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!

No comments:

Post a Comment