Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Groundhog Day Storytime

We celebrated Groundhog Day here at the library.  I do a Groundhog Day theme every year, and every year I question it.  Most kids really don't understand what I'm talking about.  And really, why would they?!  It's such a weird holiday.  But, I end up doing it every year and I'm sure next year will be no exception.  This year we read Gregory's Shadow by Don Freeman and Ten Grouchy Groundhogs by Kathryn Heling.





















Our groundhog craft was really simple this year.  I cut slits in some cheap paper plates and printed out a sheet of these little guys  and let the kids color the ground (paper plates) and their little groundhogs.  Once they slid the groundhog cut-out through the slit in the plate, they could make him pop up and look for his shadow.  Most of the time I don't know if the kids understand the Groundhog Day crafts we do, but they always like to color with the Mr. Sketch Scented Markers so I feel like it's a win.


No comments:

Post a Comment